Ready to beat the heat, ladies? Smartwool has you covered. Using thermoregulation data from a 2011 study, Smartwool reengineered its socks and base layers for women to include high-tech, gender-specific features that keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
6 years ago, Smartwool’s parent company commissioned a study to analyze how men and women respond to exercise at different temperatures. The study measured surface body temperature and perspiration rates of 1,200 people by placing sensors on their skin during exercise. Subjects were then required to answer a questionnaire to determine where on their bodies they felt hottest and coldest after exercise, so researchers could compare the subject’s perception of their body temp with exact data from the on-skin sensors.
Here’s what the study found:
- Women run warmer than they perceive
- Women sweat mostly on the arches of their feet (like men) but the shape of the perspiration zone differs
- Regardless of temperature, women’s feet always run colder than men’s feet.
- Women run coldest on the backs of their hands, glutes, outer arms, and kneecaps while their midsections run hottest.
- Women’s upper backs, calves, collarbones, and pelvis actually run hot during stop-and-go activities in the cold, like skiing.
Smartwool scientists used the thermoregulation data to make smart design decisions, like where to put breathable mesh zones in socks and how to build more warmth into areas of apparel where women need it most. PhD Run socks for women hit the market in Spring 2015, the first Smartwool product line to be overhauled with this improved understanding of how women warm-up and sweat differently than men.
Women’s PhD Sock & Apparel Features
- Specific mesh ventilation zones positioned where women need maximum breathability on their feet
- Smartwool PhD socks feature a narrower heel and broader forefoot since many women have V-shaped feet
- PhD Bottom Base Layer Leggings have thicker fabric on the glutes and hamstrings where women run colder, and ultralight fabric on the outer thighs and behind the knees where they run hotter
Every Smartwool item incorporates findings from the study - but the PhD line offers the highest degree of performance for long days outside, no matter the weather. It might be a man’s world - but women’s socks and apparel from Smartwool are engineered just for us ladies!